Monday, August 30, 2010

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde: And Other Tales of Terror (Penguin Classics)The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde: And Other Tales of Terror by Robert Louis Stevenson

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Short and sweet... as a Gemini I can obviously relate to man and man's duplicity. Although everyone assumes that only Gemini's have duplicity - I think Doctor Jekyll and Mr Hyde helps us understand that all men have duplicity within them. The moral of the story is... try as much as possible to embrace the good parts of yourself (even though we all know there is a dark side too). If you embrace the dark parts of yourself too much - you make get lost in the darkness.



"Hence it came about that I concealed my pleasures; and that when I reached years of reflection, and began to look round me and take stock of my progress and position in the world, I stood already committed to a profound duplicity of me. Many a man would have even blazoned such irregularities as I was guilty of; but from the high views that I had set before me, I regarded and hid them an almost morbid sense of shame. It was thus rather the exacting nature of my aspirations that any particular degradation in my faults, that made me what I was, and, with even a deeper trench than in the majority of men, severed in me those provinces of good and ill which divide and compounds man's dual nature."



"That man is not truly one, but truly two... It was on the moral side, and in my own person, that I learned to recognise the thorough and primitive duality of man. I saw that, of the two natures that contended in the field of my consciousness, even if I could rightly be said to be either, it was only because I was radically both...."



View all my reviews

No comments: