Wednesday, February 20, 2013

My love affair with art.

I've always been really interested in art since I was a child. It may be that my mother was an artist, or that she encouraged me to participate in imaginative and artsy projects on a frequent basis growing up. I decided to take an art history class in high school because I wanted to learn more about art and because I wanted to get some college credit. It just so happened that one of my best friends ended up in the same class with me.

Mid way through the year our teacher announced that we were taking a trip to San Francisco as a class. I was so excited because I had heard that San Francisco was a really fun place and I think I had even been there once before as a child. I was also excited because we were going to a place that exuded art from every crevice. My friend Kristen and I decided to room together and had a blast goofing off, dancing, and tumbling around the hotel room. We were two 17 year old girls on one of our first trips away from home.

Our first day in San Francisco, I will never forget, we saw the exact replica of the gold Ghiberti doors with 3-D carved biblical scenes across them. I vowed to myself that I would see the original Ghiberti doors in my lifetime. We walked through the doors into a cathedral with beautiful stained glass and analyzed the Byzantine style art.

Later that day after getting hot clam chowder at Fisherman's Warf and "people watching" we went to the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (MOMA). I will never forget the moment I saw my friend Kristin balling in front of the Rothko #14 Blue & Red piece called "1960" because it moved her so much or the feeling I felt when I saw Frida Kahlo's Self Portraits.

That trip made me solidify a life long love of art and sure enough, in 2011 my husband and I saw the original Ghiberti doors in Florence, Italy. I am also going to be a bridesmaid in Kristin's wedding in May of 2013.

Here is what the Rothko #14 looks like:



No comments: